The California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) is the largest educator-only pension fund in the world. CalSTRS proudly provides retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s 949,000 public school educators and their families.
We encourage you to join our world-class financial services institution and state agency. Our headquarters and member service centers located across the state feature sustainable construction, plenty of natural lighting and functionally-designed work spaces. At our LEED Platinum headquarters in West Sacramento, enjoy the full-service cafe, free onsite fitness center, bicycle library and walks along the Sacramento River. In addition to state-of-the-art amenities, we offer thriving wellness and sustainability programs, an award-winning employee recognition program, and ongoing learning and development opportunities.
The Facilities Planning and Development (FPD) team is responsible for the development and construction of CalSTRS Headquarters 500,000 square foot campus expansion project. This role, specifically, would assist the team reach sustainability-related project goals as it relates to energy, water, procurement, carbon and healthy materials. As part of this construction project, the Building Operations team supports the sustainability goals established by the FPD team by providing sustainable policy and procedure updates as they relate to employee and contractor behavior and operations of the building. The FPD has selected the following sustainability goals for the Headquarters campus expansion project: LEED for NC at the Platinum level, WELL Build Certification at the Gold level, Living Building Challenge, Materials Petal certification and Zero Net Energy as defined by the State of CA.
The fellow will be based at CalSTRS West Sacramento Headquarters facility and will provide ongoing support to the Environmental Sustainability Specialist and Facilities Environmental Coordinator:
• Interpret relevant sustainability rating systems and ensure CalSTRS environmental sustainability policies are updated to comply with the latest versions and implementations of LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge and CA Executive Order B-18-12.
• Understand CalSTRS organizational goals and objectives related to environmental sustainability and assist in the preparation of communication and execution of change management events to align employees and contractors with updates to applicable sustainability policies and procedures.
• Collect documentation and maintain accurate records required by certifying agencies to achieve LEED NC, WELL, and Living Building Challenge certification. Administer documentation and prepare narratives required for certification, being mindful of project timelines, submission deadlines and conflicting priorities and schedules of the project team.
• Perform research, analyze options, advise leadership, and coordinate implementation of alternative energy efficiency projects with Facilities Planning and Development Team and property management team, including Engineers, as applicable.
The ideal candidate will have interest in:
• Sustainable facilities operations
• Energy policy
• Energy efficiency
• Organizational change management
• Procurement policy
• Zero net energy and zero net carbon
• Data visualization
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.