Looking for a career in local government sustainability? The City of Sunnyvale is hosting a Climate Action Fellow to support its sustainability goals related to climate action, greenhouse gas emissions reduction, and community engagement. The Climate Action Fellow will help launch the implementation of Sunnyvale’s Climate Action Playbook (to be adopted in summer).
What you will work on
As a Climate Action Fellow, you will:
• Support the implementation of programs outlined in the City’s Climate Action Playbook (CAP). Examples may include the City’s Sustainability Speaker Series; an electric vehicle awareness program; and programs promoting energy efficiency and building electrification.
• Conduct research on emerging sustainability topics relevant to the City’s CAP to inform policy and programmatic decisions.
• Collect and analyze data and tracking metrics related to climate action programs.
• Collaborate with internal and external project partners, including city departments, community members, volunteer groups, sustainability staff in other cities and/or at other public agencies.
• Coordinate logistics for and staffing community outreach events related to climate change, transportation, and energy efficiency.
• Assist with and growing the City’s sustainability social media outreach and messaging.
• Represent the City at outreach events hosted at non-city venues, such as corporate events, school events, and community events. (Includes working some weekends and evenings and will require the use of a personal vehicle.)
What we are looking for
We are looking for a creative and dynamic individual who is:
• able to learn and be knowledgeable about a variety of technical and non-technical sustainability topics (e.g., building energy efficiency, EV chargers, community-based social marketing).
• a proficient writer. (Experience with succinct outreach messaging and technical writing preferred.)
• an intermediate or advanced user of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
• comfortable with public speaking in front of adult and youth audiences.
• personable and approachable in interacting with community members.
• is experienced with graphic programs like Canva or Adobe InDesign (preferred but not required).
What you will gain from this Fellowship
• experience working in a medium-sized city with strong leadership, with hands-on opportunities for community involvement and for having a meaningful impact on the environment.
• technical and interpersonal skills and knowledge that equip you for a position in the sustainability field.
• a fun team environment where creativity and independence are appreciated and encouraged.
Come work with us to help advance environmental initiatives in the Heart of Silicon Valley!
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.