Who we are
The San Mateo County Community District (SMCCCD) is committed to achieving educational equity for all students. As outlined in the District’s Strategic Plan, “success, equity, and social justice for our students are longstanding goals.” The District’s “Students First” Strategic Plan is focused on “Student Success, Equity and Social Justice.” We provide students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences — emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders.
As an institution that prioritizes learning in everything it does, SMCCCD has hosted 10 Climate Corps Fellows over the past seven years, providing the resources for emerging professionals to grow their capacity to institutionalize sustainability in the communities they serve. Both Utility and Sustainability Specialists at SMCCCD are climate corps alumni, providing a unique mentorship environment, tailored to assist you in achieving your professional goals.
- An inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused community
- A dynamic, flexible, and fun working environment.
- A creative and caring culture that values community, diversity, altruism, accountability, collaboration, sustainability, and learning by doing.
- Distinct professional challenges to connect with, care for, and grow community that values a cleaner, healthier, and efficient learning environment.
- Ongoing mentorship and support.
- Access and exposure to a broad and deep network of energy and sustainability professionals. This includes access to and support of professional development opportunities, trainings, certifications, and learning resources. As a learning institution, SMCCCD prioritizes learning and believes in and supports the continuous development of its staff.
The Decarbonization Program Associate will be a key member of a dynamic team of sustainability change agents at San Mateo County Community College District. The ideal candidate will have an unwavering commitment to helping simultaneously improve educational and operational outcomes.
The Decarbonization Program Associate, working closely with the Utility and Sustainability Specialists, and will be responsible for the coordination, implementation and administration of climate action programs for the San Mateo County Community College District. As an integral contributor to a comprehensive Sustainability Initiative, the Program Associate will be involved in all aspects of planning and implementing decarbonization strategies across the three distinct campuses of SMCCCD, namely Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties below are representative of the duties of the classification and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed by the incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment.
Policy, Research, and Data Analysis:
- Initiates and engages in Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory processes, Climate Action Planning, and associated program development.
- Establishes a baseline of carbon emissions across the district and creates a draft districtwide decarbonization strategy.
- Communicates and advocates for the advancement of Decarbonization and Climate Action both internally at SMCCCD, and throughout the California Higher Education System.
- Monitors and researches relevant public policy issues that affect various operational and business practices of the District as it pertains to Climate Action.
Outreach and Education
- Develop partnerships, submit applications for awards, and explores funding sources for related project opportunities.
- Develops, facilitates and conducts campus as a living laboratory as well as gamification efforts including management of student interns to more fully institutionalize decarbonization efforts
- Serves as District representative and primary contact for matters related to climate action.
- Contributes and delivers content for social media, ads, reports, presentations, and other communications material to promote sustainability initiatives.
- Publishes reports and materials pertinent to the district’s sustainability efforts.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Related experience in fields related to energy efficiency, renewable energy, climate action planning, transportation demand management, and data analysis.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Reliable transportation to get to 3 campuses
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments, make independent judgments and/or decisions, and discern when action at a higher level is required.
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple projects and maintain an organized and well communicated work flow.
- Has a deep passion for sustainability, especially Climate Action, with the practical skills and abilities to affect change in a complex organization.
- Can provide an exceptionally high level of customer service and work effectively as a part of a customer service oriented team.
- Has a fun, positive, engaging presence with experience in areas of marketing, communications, and public speaking and outreach. Brings creativity to making decarbonization efforts and events fun and engaging.