Looking for a career in environmental outreach and education? The City of Sunnyvale is hosting an Environmental Community Engagement Fellow to support its environmental education, marketing and outreach, and community engagement programs. The Environmental Community Engagement Fellow will support critical outreach initiatives focused on watershed protection, water conservation, storm water and wastewater pollution prevention.
What you will work on
As the Environmental Community Engagement Fellow, you will:
• Revamp and conduct environmental classroom presentations with hands-on activities for kindergarten, third, and fifth grade classes (50 to 75 presentations).
• Set the groundwork for youth, community, and local business outreach opportunities and events.
• Assist with developing environmental education materials focused on pollution prevention, storm water management, water conservation or watershed protection.
• Enhance the division’s social media strategy, developing posts and creative campaigns to promote Sunnyvale’s sustainability programs while motivating behavior change.
• Collaborate with department City staff or external entities for logistics and hands-on implementation of environmental programs, including contests, events, educational fairs, volunteer opportunities, and workshops.
• Assist with the City’s Trash Reduction Program designed to protect water quality by conducting on-land visual trash assessments, implementing anti-litter campaigns.
• Support, as needed, the City’s climate action programs, including coordinating outreach and education efforts around climate change and energy efficiency issues.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a creative and dynamic individual who is:
• a strong writer, savvy with social media platforms and messaging.
• comfortable with public speaking in front of youth and adult audiences.
• personable and approachable in interacting with community members.
• an intermediate or advanced user of Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• a self-starter who can work independently and troubleshoot problems and develop creative solutions.
• creative and detail-oriented and can think outside the box.
• is experienced with graphic programs like Canva or Adobe InDesign.
• possesses a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle.
What you will gain from this Fellowship
• experience working in a medium-sized city with strong leadership, with hands-on opportunities for community involvement and for having a meaningful impact on the environment.
• creative and interpersonal skills and knowledge that equip you for a position in the environmental field.
• a fun team environment where creativity and independence are appreciated and encouraged.
Come work with us to help advance environmental initiatives in the Heart of Silicon Valley!
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.