Climate Corps AmeriCorps: Equity and Climate Fellow at Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
Position Title: Equity and Climate Fellow at Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
Term of Service: Full-time, October 27, 2020 – August 31, 2021
Time requirements: 40 hours/week; 1,700 hours in 10.5 month span
ABOUT CLIMATE CORPS AMERICORPS
AmeriCorps is a national service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Climate Corps AmeriCorps partners with local government, educational institutions and nonprofit organizations across California to provide full-time service opportunities in the Bay Area supporting communities’ critical needs in building climate resilience. Climate Corps AmeriCorps fellows dedicate 1,700 hours of service in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend supported by our AmeriCorps grant. Climate Corps AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about building climate resilience for communities. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov.
ABOUT RISING SUN CENTER FOR OPPORTUNITY
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity is a premier nonprofit organization working at the intersection of economic equity and climate resilience in the greater California Bay Area since 1994. Rising Sun focuses on economic opportunity by operating two impactful programs: Climate Careers and Opportunity Build. To date, Rising Sun has trained more than 1,800 youth and 800 adults, and served over 46,000 households with free energy and water efficiency services.
Rising Sun is looking for enthusiastic, passionate, and committed Climate Corps AmeriCorps fellows to help support our Climate Careers program and gain exposure to our Opportunity Build program.
Our earn and learn youth program, Climate Careers, works with low-income participants, ages 15- 24 throughout the summer, providing no-cost Green House Calls to local residences. Green House Calls consist of an energy and water assessment and the installation of energy and water saving devices. This innovative program, through the combining of residential energy efficiency services and youth employment and development, provides career exposure and pathways to success.
Our adult program, Opportunity Build, provides job training, case management, and job placement services to low-income adults experiencing serious barriers to employment. Opportunity Build offers two training modules: Core, which is a certified Apprenticeship Readiness Program for individuals who want to enter the union building trades and pursue a construction career, and Solar, for those seeking to enter the solar industry as solar PV installers. The purpose of Opportunity Build is to provide individuals with a pathway out of poverty and into stable careers that offer family-sustaining wages and long-term opportunities.
ABOUT RISING SUN CENTER FOR OPPORTUNITY’S CULTURE
We are mission-driven and work hard because we care deeply about what we do. We like working with each other and we like to make work fun. We like to try new things and encourage each other to find unique and unconventional ways to tackle tough problems. We celebrate every birthday, eat a lot of desserts together, and recycle the same birthday candles until they’re gone. There’s usually at least one dog hanging around the office, and sometimes a staff member’s kid or two as well. We want people to grow. We like to promote from within and build each other up, but we also like to bring in new ideas and different perspectives. We’re looking forward to meeting you and hearing about how you can contribute to making Rising Sun a great place to work.
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER committed to providing a nondiscriminatory and inclusive environment for its employees. EOE/AA/Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. Rising Sun is a pet-friendly and family-forward organization that promotes a healthy work-life balance for all staff. For more information about Rising Sun, please visit www.risingsunopp.org.
Fellows will work on the Climate Careers program and gain exposure to our adult program during their 10-months of service in a variety of capacities. Fellows will work on program design and implementation, will interact with, and provide support to our temporary summer teams, as well as our youth and adult participants. During certain portions of the Fellowship there will be a heavy emphasis on outreach and recruitment. Fellows will operate out of our Oakland headquarters, however, there is extensive travel required as our service territory includes the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Joaquin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma. Fellows will report directly to Rising Sun’s Marketing and Community Engagement Manager.
- Program design and implementation
- Lead generation and solicitation of potential residential customers through a variety of marketing and outreach strategies such as tabling, canvassing, presentations, etc.
- Develop and nurture strategic relationships with county, city, and community partners
- Work closely with and support program staff
- Provide support and mentorship to temporary staff and program participants
- Analyze data and complete reports
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to lead and implement an outreach plan and campaign
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Experience developing and managing external partnerships
- Experience supporting/supervising staff
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills: word processing, spreadsheet, software, database management
- Key qualities: problem-solver, adaptable, accountable, self-starter, team player; thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Own a car with valid driver’s license and insurance
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to lift 15+ pounds, and to walk up to one mile at a time
- Be US citizens or legal permanent residents
- Have a high school diploma/GED
- Be 17 years old or older
- Pass state criminal and FBI background checks, and a national check in the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Registry
- Test negatively for tuberculosis
- Be able and willing to commit to the 10.5-month service term
- Be able and willing to work remotely if needed due to ongoing COVID-19 public health considerations and shelter-in-place orders.
BENEFITS OF SERVICE
- Receive a living allowance stipend of $2,115 per month
- Receive free MEC healthcare, child care support, and qualifying federal student loan deferment throughout your term of service.
- Upon the successful completion of your 1,700 hours and term of service, receive a Segal Education Award of $6,195.
- Receive ongoing training & support, including a 4-day orientation, monthly trainings, a 2-day retreat, and personal professional development support.
- Benefit from the robust, ever-growing Climate Corps network of partner organizations and alumni.
- Develop sustainability skills, implement impactful climate change resiliency projects, and build partnerships in your community.
BACR is an equal opportunity employer. We cultivate an environment that encourages fairness, teamwork, and respect among all employees and National Service members. We are firmly committed to maintaining an atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally. Therefore, we enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion or religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances. Our management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this equal opportunity policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.