A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Over 12,000 people work at Genentech South San Francisco Campus (SSF) each day in over 60 buildings, with a footprint over 6 million square foot of office, research, and manufacturing space.
At Genentech, we believe that a healthy future for our global community starts in our own backyard. We set ambitious sustainability goals in 2015 for our SSF campus to reduce CO2 emissions from our onsite energy use by 30% and water consumption by 20% in 2020 compared to 2010 levels. We will meet our CO2 reduction goal a year earlier in 2019 and will be setting new science-based goals.
Energy and water efficiency improvements need to be implemented to meet Genentech and Roche business and site sustainability goals. Annual compliance reports and monthly Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are needed to ensure goals are achieved at SSF Campus.
The SEI Climate Corps fellow will work closely with the Energy and Water Team to
- Develop energy and water consumption and cost data analytics
- Perform financial analysis to justify energy and water efficiency projects
- Work on natural gas reduction projects including steam boiler plant upgrade, condensing boiler optimization, air change reduction evaluations, and after-hour setback changes
- Expand real-time energy and water monitoring program to identify opportunities to improve energy and water efficiency
- Assist the energy and water team in water efficiency projects and estimate CO2 emission reductions due to energy water nexus
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a preference for Mechanical, Environmental, or Chemical Engineering
- Strong analytic skills and ability to develop and implement analytical data models and dashboard and reports
- Capability to effectively format, prepare and present technical reports
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills