Are you passionate about changing the market so that buying green products is the easiest choice? The Green Purchasing Associate will manage projects that send a message to the marketplace through Alameda County’s significant purchasing power.
The Green Purchasing Associate will work closely with staff in the Alameda County Sustainability Office to promote and implement green purchasing, green building, and waste reduction projects.
1) You will support the development and integration of green purchasing and green building standards into the operations of our partner County departments by doing technical and market research, engaging stakeholders, publishing guidelines, and implementing selected strategies.
2) You will support the development of data management and tracking systems needed to implement new State of California procurement laws.
3) You will maintain and update metrics and graphics to highlight successes and areas that need further support.
4) You will support the development of green building and green purchasing actions and metrics for the County’s next Climate Action Plan for Government Services and Operations.
Each of these areas of work will allow you to collaborate with colleagues throughout the Ccounty, as well as regional partners, to gather data, conduct research, and propose policy and programmatic solutions to achieve programmatic goals.
All fellows at Alameda County are able to work with other fellows placed at Alameda County and participate in our award-winning series of trainings and workshops for fellows.
The position will provide significant opportunities to develop professionally, including:
• Conducting technical and market research on green products and services, including those used for construction and energy efficiency projects, and synthesizing that research into compelling narratives in multiple formats;
• Managing projects, such as setting goals, identifying stakeholders and audiences, and developing work products on time;
• Synthesizing technical information into a format suitable for a general audience;
• Analyzing regulatory requirements to develop implementation strategies;
• Facilitating change management in a large organization;
• Gaining access to state and national sustainability networks;
• Visualizing data and identifying key lessons to draw from data; and
• Working independently towards goals and outcomes that are developed as a team.
This position offers up to $566 of training and travel reimbursement. (Site supervisor & SEI approval required for reimbursement.)
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Oakland, CA