This Sustainability Associate position is supported through a partnership between Southern California Edison and Strategic Energy Innovations (SEI). The position’s goal is to address energy and environmental sustainability knowledge and practices across the campus. This position offers professional development opportunities that will help to hone the skills necessary to execute effective sustainable programs. Fellows will have the opportunity to apply their newly acquired education in practical ways to address real-world problems.
Role and Responsibilities:
SMC’ Sustainability department is seeking a recent college graduate to fulfill a 10-month, full-time Climate Corp Fellowship position to support our efforts to weave sustainability across the curriculum, promote innovative energy-related certificate programs, and zero waste initiatives. This position will:
• Support infusion of Energy & Sustainability concepts into curriculum: (60% time).
• Identify and coordinate with faculty to develop curriculum modules that promote energy
efficiency, climate impacts, and other key sustainability-related concepts into existing academic
• Identify and connect with campus faculty who are interested in initiating and sustaining such
• Assist participating faculty members with instructional planning, lesson development, direct
instruction, and evaluation related to such academic projects.
• Support development and execution of an outreach campaign for the Energy Efficiency and Solar
PV certificate program. (15% time)
• Support development of a campus zero waste strategic plan. (20% time)
• Develop and disseminate “Building Comfort” best practice suggestions for various campus
buildings. (5% time)
• An educational background in a sustainability related field (volunteer and internship
experience will also be considered). While this is preferred, all candidates with experience in
fulfilling responsibilities similar to the ones listed below are welcome to apply;
• An emerging understanding of (or desire to learn about) energy efficiency.
• Proactive and timely about meeting goals and deadlines.
• Strong communication skills (written and verbal) capable to engage diverse audiences
(community outreach experience is desirable).
• Be able to work independently while also exceling in teamwork environments.
• Strong organizational and project management skills.
• Be comfortable with the basic functions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Be willing to use SMC workflow systems such as Microsoft Office 365.
• Be available to attend weekly team meetings.
• Follow all college policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Position may be in person or performed remotely. However, it is preferred that the candidate be able and willing to occasionally (~1x per week) travel to campus for various meetings, information gathering, etc.
Santa Monica Colleges’ Sustainability Department aims to reduce negative impacts of the built structures and transportation impacts of the college while increasing the positive impacts of our students in their everyday lives and future careers. For more information on current and past efforts please visit: smc.edu/sustainability
SEI requires employees to be Vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.