This Sustainability Associate position is supported through an innovative partnership between PG&E and SEI. Aimed at addressing the myriad of energy and environmental sustainability initiatives, this Fellowship model presents a distinct opportunity to shape energy efficiencies and sustainability practices across sectors and institutional roles.
At the core of this program is developing the next generation of thinkers and doers to help address sustainability in higher education settings. Roles in educational sustainability require a distinct combination of aptitudes including project management, data analytics and community development. In addition to the Climate Corps training and professional certificate, this position offers professional development opportunities designed to help provide the range of skills necessary to execute sustainable programs or practices.
The candidate will work on pressing climate and sustainability problems and be relied upon to work toward replicable solutions. A customized mix of on the job training, field work and class time will help the Fellow hone marketable skills and draw important professional connections while making a marked difference in their community.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (SLO) Energy, Utilities and Sustainability team is seeking a recent college graduate to fulfill a 10-month, full-time Climate Corps Fellowship position to support systemwide initiatives that bridge sustainability in the built environment with classroom resources and instruction to move towards greater adoption of campus as a living lab practices. Aligning with the California State University system goals to reach carbon neutrality by 2040, and in compliance with California State and California State University (CSU) system energy efficiency goals and mandates, this position will:
• Support and coordinate Faculty Learning Community initiatives at the CSU system which are focused on sustainability curriculum and content development. This will be in close collaboration with key faculty, department chairs and deans across campuses. (60% time)
• Connect the Systemwide Faculty Learning Community and This Way To Sustainability conference content with the open access journal for the CSU system, further disseminating and providing resources for teaching on topics such as energy efficiency, climate impacts, and other key areas related to sustainability broadly including waste, water, etc. (10% time)
• Support Cal Poly’s effort to earn an AASHE STARS Platinum rating by developing projects and programs that result in improved sustainability across campus while also earning STARS points. (10% time)
• Support development of a USGBC LEED Operations and Maintenance (O+M) program for Cal Poly that will result in an increase in building square footage managed with sustainability as a key metric. (10% time)
• Support development of a campus zero waste strategic plan. (10% time)
The Cal Poly’s Energy, Utilities, and Sustainability (EU&S) team in Facilities Management and Development aims to reduce Cal Poly’s energy, water, waste, and GHG emissions toward the goal of climate neutrality. For more information on current and past efforts please visit: sustainability.calpoly.edu
Position may be in person or performed remotely, though if remote must be able and willing to occasionally (~1 per month) travel to campus for various meetings, data collection efforts, projects, etc.
• Be able to work independently while also excelling in teamwork environments.
• Have the ability to communicate with a culturally diverse campus community.
• Possess strong communication skills in writing and public speaking.
• Be willing to participate in direct community outreach and social media campaigns.
• Be an organized self-starter and have excellent time management skills.
• Be comfortable with managing and delegating to other team members.
• Be motivated and responsible to complete projects in a timely and professional manner.
• Be comfortable with the basic functions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Be willing to use Cal Poly workflow systems such as Microsoft Office 365.
• Be available to attend weekly team meetings and scheduled work blocks.
• Follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines.
SEI requires employees to be Vaccinated against COVID-19
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.