This Sustainability Associate position is supported through an innovative partnership between Puget Sound Energy and Strategic Energy Innovations. Aimed at addressing the myriad of energy and environmental sustainability initiatives, this Fellowship model presents a distinct opportunity to shape energy efficiencies and sustainability practices across sectors and institutional roles.
At the core of this program is developing the next generation of thinkers and doers to help address sustainability in higher education settings. Roles in educational sustainability require a distinct combination of aptitudes including project management, data analytics and community development. In addition to the Climate Corps training and professional certificate, this position offers professional development opportunities designed to help provide the range of skills necessary to execute sustainable programs or practices.
The candidate will work on pressing climate and sustainability problems and be relied upon to work toward replicable solutions. A customized mix of on the job training, field work and class time will help the Fellow hone marketable skills and draw important professional connections while making a marked difference in the campus community.
Role and Responsibilities
Projects may include, but not limited to:
- Green Building Consultation in support of new building and modernization projects
- Energy and Utility Field Audits in support of operational excellence
- Support in Water Efficiency Program Implementation
Policy, Research, and Data Analysis:
- Initiates and engages in Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory processes, Climate Action Planning, and associated program development.
- Establishes a baseline of carbon emissions and creates a draft decarbonization strategy.
- Communicates and advocates for the advancement of Decarbonization and Climate Action.
Outreach and Education:
- Develop partnerships, submit applications for awards, and explores funding sources for related project opportunities.
- Develops, facilitates and conducts campus as a living laboratory as well as management of student interns to more fully institutionalize decarbonization efforts
- Contributes and delivers content for social media, ads, reports, presentations, and other communications material to promote sustainability initiatives.
- Publishes reports and materials pertinent to the district’s sustainability efforts.