The City of Mountain View is committed to providing exceptional service to our community, and we want YOU to join our dynamic, talented, and professional team! Now the heart of Silicon Valley, Mountain View is home to approximately 82,000 residents and equal that many employees from a multitude of start-ups and established companies such as Google, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Intuit, Symantec, and many others. The Fellow will work in the Sustainability Division, located in the City Manager’s Office.
Through the Climate Corps program, Mountain View is interested in hosting a Fellow to support its expanding Sustainability program. We are looking for a candidate to help with our community engagement goals related to climate action, greenhouse gas emissions reductions, resilience, and social equity. This is a great opportunity for an outgoing, confident, detail-oriented individual with strong creative, verbal, written, and research skills who enjoys working with passionate staff and wants to make a real difference! You will engage with our residents, businesses, and city employees from across the organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES (but not limited to)
- Help implement community engagement campaigns targeted at residents, businesses, and city employees, and focused on encouraging behavior change and building upgrades
o Utilize our "Collaborate Mountain View" platform to communicate with, and solicit feedback from, community members
o Oversee all elements of our "Cool Block" program, launching a second cohort of community members
o Launch new online engagement tools and programs to help the community reduce its carbon footprint and live more sustainably overall
o Design, implement, and track competitions in the community to drive behavior change
o Design and write content for flyers, ads, and other outreach materials
o Plan, organize, and host community and employee engagement events (some during evenings and weekends)
o Update the web site, including writing and posting content
o Design and write social media content to support campaigns, including videos
- Support the Sustainability team with Council or committee meetings
o Assist with writing and publishing agendas, staff reports, and minutes
o Respond to public inquiries and assist with research as needed
o Attend evening meetings
- Conduct research on various environmental and social equity topics and compile, analyze, and summarize the data
- Help develop municipal policies and community ordinances
- Work with city staff to gather data, track metrics, and report on the City’s progress
- Assist with implementing actions in the City’s "Sustainability Action Plan 4"
- Apply for awards
- Outreach: solid experience in the many facets of community engagement
- Detail-oriented: dots all the “i’s”, crosses all the “t’s”, and double-checks their work
- Research and Analysis: enjoys conducting research and synthesizing data
- Written: has strong writing skills, both formally (reports) and creatively (flyers/ads)
- Social Media: is strong in Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor, and other platforms
- Creative: is skilled in designing flyers, brochures, and other outreach materials
- Verbal/Outgoing: a confident extrovert who is comfortable and enjoys speaking/engaging with employees and the public
- Bright: learns quickly and is not afraid to ask questions
- Energetic: takes initiative
- Quantitative: is comfortable using Excel to perform basic-to-medium level calculations and analysis
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Environmental Studies, Business Administration, Economics, Political Science, Urban Planning, or a related field. Candidates who are completing, or who have completed, a Master’s degree in Environmental Studies/Sustainability/Science or related field are preferred.
TRAINING AND TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT
This position offers up to $750 of training and travel reimbursement, subject to site supervisor and SEI approval.
Depending on the situation with COVID-19 in September 2021, the Fellow may need to fully or partially work from home for a period of time.