The UCOP Sustainability Reporting and Outreach Coordinator will work closely with the Associate Directors and the Director of Sustainability to advance the University of California’s progress towards meeting its aggressive Carbon Neutrality and sustainability goals. This Fellow will oversee communications and outreach activities, analyze sustainability data and report on progress toward system wide goals, support UC student Fellows, and help advance sustainability programs systemwide and within UCOP’s internal operations.
Projects and tasks will include some of the following:
• Collect, analyze, and compile data and qualitative information for UC’s Annual Sustainability Report and federal reports.
• Produce the department’s bi-weekly newsletter, manage the Twitter account, update website content.
• Support and help coordinate the activities of the campus Carbon Neutrality Fellows.
• Develop other projects to support system-wide sustainability initiatives. Current focus areas include equity and climate resilience. (Specific topics TBD depending on interest & experience.)
• Help systemwide working groups to develop policies, briefing papers, and best practices.
• Assist with sustainability projects in UCOP’s internal operations (e.g., coordinate a staff affinity group; implement best practices for waste, water, or transportation; prepare reports).
• Help organize Sustainability Steering Committee and Global Climate Leadership Council meetings.
The position will provide significant opportunities to develop professionally, including:• Understanding how a sustainability program is managed within a large organization
• Tracking, analyzing, and reporting on sustainability metrics
• Developing and implementing communications and outreach strategies across multiple sites and multiple stakeholder groups within a large organization
• Gaining experience in project management
• Understanding best practices across a range of sustainability operations topics (e.g., waste, water, food, transportation, energy, purchasing, etc.