The mission of Eden Housing is to build and maintain high-quality, well-managed, service-enhanced affordable housing communities that meet the needs of lower income families, seniors and persons with disabilities. A Climate Corps fellow would The Climate Corps Sustainable Housing Fellow would assist Eden's Sustainability and Energy Asset Manager with research, planning and implementation of water efficiency, recycling and green building capital improvement projects. This position will support the development and management of broad-based strategic energy and sustainability initiatives throughout Eden's portfolio of multifamily communities in California.
The fellow will assist Eden Housing's Sustainability and Energy Manager with the following tasks and initiatives:
• Water Efficiency: research and implementation of plans to lower the intensity of potable water use at Eden Housing communities with irrigated landscapes. The Climate Corps fellow would use online aerial mapping tools and field verification to measure landscape areas. Working with water district conservation staff and landscaping contractors, the fellow would coordinate irrigation surveys and water use analyses to benchmark irrigation as well as domestic water use.
1) The fellow would work with Eden Housing’s Sustainability Manager, Property Maintenance and Facilities staff, and landscaping contractors, to improve irrigation efficiency and to develop Water Efficient Landscape Worksheets and guides to assist maintenance staff in achieving irrigation budgets. Where feasible, the fellow would work with landscape designers and irrigation hardware providers to institute Bay Friendly landscaping practices, improve irrigation designs, and install climate adapted and native plants that require occasional, little or no summer water.
• Waste Diversion: coordinate resident community recycling initiatives to increase waste diversion.
• Benchmarking: work with energy utilities to aggregate whole building energy use of electricity and natural gas. Track and report on performance of energy and water upgrades after implementation.
• Electric Vehicles: research and recommend strategies for lowering vehicle miles traveled by residents using fossil-fueled vehicles. Coordinate efforts to increase residents' use of bicycles, car-sharing and EVs.
• Capital Improvement Projects: Assist both the Sustainability Manager and Capital Projects Manager with implementation and coordination of energy conservation projects. Create Request for Proposals and gather bids from vendors, manage project timeline and tracking steps. Assist in project close out by filing all Capital Improvement work documentation.
• Green Building Practices: participate in interdepartmental meetings focused on furthering green building practices at Eden communities.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.