Description of Duties:
The candidate will work alongside the UCSFH Sustainability team members to assist with zero waste goals.
Projects may include, but not limited to:
Waste Auditing (75%)
- Perform waste audits using a trash grabber, auditing tool, and mobile device
- Conduct walkthroughs across UCSFH sites
- Identify and distinguish recyclables, compostable, and landfill findings
- Looks out for, reports, and takes appropriate action regarding hazardous materials in the waste stream
Education and Outreach (25%)
- Communicate and offer feedback to staff regarding waste audits
- Facilitate on hands and remote educational trainings
- Delivers signage to appropriate staff, makes recommendations to increase diversion efforts
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Related experience in fields related to sustainability, zero waste, recycling
- Willingness to have flexible hours, including evening audits when needed ( Max 8 hours/ day ; 40 hours/ week )
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments, make independent judgments and/or decisions, and discern when action at a higher level is required.
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple projects and maintain an organized and well communicated work flow.
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite
- Fully vaccinated against covid-19
- Adhere to UCSF protocols and daily health screening
- Comply with universal surgical mask policy
- Fingerprinting and TB test required after hire.
- Working onsite protocols: https://coronavirus.ucsf.edu/campus-protocols/working-onsite
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Work is performed in an office and hospital setting. Auditing location may be at the Mission Bay, Parnassus, or Mount Zion hospital (or a combination of all three). Candidate may also be asked to conduct on site work at UCSF Benioff in Oakland.
- Work involves walking 3-4 hours a day with occasional squatting and bending over.
- Auditor must walk to each control point with either mobile device / iPad + trash grabber to perform audit (training and equipment will be provided)
SEI requires all employees to be Vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.